The current Wonca EMR member organizations are the following: Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Qatar ,United Arab Emirates, Algeria, Morocco, Afghanistan and Islamic Republic of Iran. Other countries who submitted applications to join Wonca are Tunisia and Palestine. Academic members for WONCA EMR are Alnajah University, in Palestine Gezira university in Sudan north and Kuwait
WONCA is an unusual, yet convenient acronym comprising the first five initials of the World Organization of National Colleges, Academies and Academic Associations of General Practitioners/Family Physicians. WONCA’s short name is World Organization of Family Doctors.
The Mission of WONCA is to improve the quality of life of the peoples of the world through defining and promoting its values, including respect for universal human rights and including gender equity, and by fostering high standards of care in general practice/family medicine by:
- promoting personal, comprehensive and continuing care for the individual and the family in the context of the community and society
- promoting equity through the equitable treatment, inclusion and meaningful advancement of all groups of people, particularly women and girls, in the context of all health care and other societal initiatives
- encouraging and supporting the development of academic organizations of general practitioners/family physicians
- providing a forum for the exchange of knowledge and information between Member Organizations and between general practitioners/family physicians
- representing the policies and the educational, research and service provision activities of general practitioners/family physicians to other world organizations and forums concerned with health and medical care.